*This is a copy of the Waikīkī Beach Stays monthly mailer (sent out 21 Mar 2022). Click here to subscribe for future editions.
Welcome to Waikīkī Beach Stays monthly mailer, the best place to keep up to date with everything happening on the island of Oʻahu, Hawaiʻi.
We’ve combined February and March into one edition!
Over the last few months we’ve been busy writing Hawaiʻi stories for Escape, Australia’s favorite destination for travel news and advice. These articles are a fountain of knowledge, check them out after you’ve finished reading this e-newsletter 😉
- 28 interesting facts you should know before visiting Hawaii
- 8 things every traveller needs to do in Oahu, Hawaii
- 5 places to shop ’til you drop in Oahu, Hawaii
- Best places to stay in Oahu, Hawaii
- Best places to eat and drink in Oahu, Hawaii
- Planning a trip to Hawaii: The ultimate guide
After visiting Waikīkī Aquarium last week, we thought we’d share some information. This Waikīkī attraction is small but mighty! For $12 adults, $5 kids (under 3 free), it’s totally worth exploring for an hour or so during your visit. The indoor exhibits are the most impressive, we loved seeing the Giant Grouper! They rotate events, classes and exhibits and have a handy Audio Exhibit Guide. Note, the Hawaiian Monk Seal Habitat is closed for now. View the photo album of our visit.
Now for the best news:
As COVID-19 cases continue to decline in Hawaiʻi, travel requirements and restrictions are scaling back.
The procedure for travel to Hawaiʻi depends on whether you are a domestic or international traveler e.g. whether you fly into Hawaiʻi from the US mainland and its territories (domestic) or another country (international).
- Domestic travelers from the US and its territories must adhere to the Safe Travels Hawaiʻi program until 25 Mar 2022. Beginning 26 Mar 2022, there will be no COVID-related requirements for arriving domestic passengers.
- International travelers arriving in Hawaiʻi directly from international airports must still comply with CDC federal international requirements; consult with your airline. This quick reference guide for Traveling to the United States from a Foreign Country by Air is a great resource!
- Hawaiʻi’s counties including the City & County of Honolulu have lifted all COVID-19 rules, including the vaccine-or-test requirements for patrons of restaurants, bars, gyms and movie theaters.
- Hawaiʻi’s statewide indoor mask mandate will be dropped 26 Mar 2022 (Hawaiʻi was the last state in America to have a mask mandate in place).
- For anyone needing to get a COVID-19 test in Waikīkī, here’s a summary of your options.
We’ve also noticed an uptick in festivals and events on Oʻahu, it’s very exciting! You’ll find a summary at the end of this update, and bookmark this page for your future trip.
If you have any questions or concerns about your trip, please don’t hesitate to reach out. We’re here to help our guests and readers.
A hui hou (until we meet again)…
Ash & Keli‘i
- WalletHub has ranked Hawaiʻi as the safest state in the US during COVID-19. The study compared rates of COVID-19 transmission, positive testing, hospitalizations and death, as well as the share of the eligible population getting vaccinated.
- As of 16 Mar 2022: There have been 238,764 cases of COVID-19 in Hawaiʻi to date, resulting in 1,368 deaths. Average daily new cases 97 island-wide (67 Oʻahu, 14 Maui County, 7 Kauaʻi and 10 Hawaiʻi Island). Reporting is on a weekly basis.
- For the 18th consecutive year, Hawaiian Airlines is America’s most punctual airline, according to the US Department of Transportation.
- Hawaiian Airlines is bringing back nonstop service this summer (Aug-Sep) between Oakland (OAK) in California and Kona (KOA) on Hawaiʻi Island, and adding a second daily flight between San Francisco (SFO) in California and Honolulu (HNL) on Oʻahu.
- Average gas prices in Hawaiʻi are approaching an all-time record high. On average, drivers are spending around US$4.99 for a gallon of regular unleaded gas. This is well over the national average of US$3.53.
- For alternative modes of transportation on Oʻahu, click here.
- Outrigger Reef Waikiki Beach Resort has just opened Ao Cultural Center, the hub of the hotel’s cultural programming, including hula, ukulele and lei making classes.
- Not sure where to stay in Waikīkī? We’ve categorized every hotel and resort in Waikīkī to help you narrow down your best options.
- Norwegian Cruise Line’s (NCL) Pride of America Hawaiʻi cruise resumes on 9 Apr 2022. Here’s our review (we experienced NCL’s Pride of America pre-pandemic).
- Click here for more Hawaiʻi cruise options.
Restaurants & Bars
- Turtle Bay Resort is launching a Paniolo Paina dinner experience on 24 Mar 2022. These events celebrate Hawaiʻi’s rich ranching and cowboy heritage – complete with a pig roast, delicious eats, welcome cocktail, live entertainment and a cash bar. There are fun activities for the kids, including a pony experience and hula lessons.
- Uncle Sharkii Poke Bar, a US franchise store, has opened at the International Market Place. They offer a modern-take on ‘poke bowls’ using ingredients like corn, jalapeños and imitation crab plus they serve boba teas and Dole soft serve flavors.
- Earl Kaimukī, Oʻahu’s famous sandwich shop, has moved to a new location in Market City Shopping Center (10-minutes drive from Waikiki). They make extremely delicious hand-crafted gourmet sandwiches with unique flavor combinations.
- Ăn Đi Dzô restaurant has opened at Ward Entertainment Center (15-minutes drive from Waikīkī). It serves contemporary Vietnamese cuisine for lunch and dinner.
- Han No Daidokoro, a Korean-style barbecue restaurant in Ward Village (15-minutes drive from Waikīkī), is now open for lunch from 11:30am (last seating at 2pm). Dinner service is also available from 5-10pm.
- Nature and You have just restarted their Mānoa Valley Hike. This rainforest and waterfall tour explores a magical area featured in Jurassic Park movies and the Lost TV series. Learn about interesting facts, history and Hawaiian culture during the hike, followed by a delicious lunch with a view.
- Honolulu Zoo has a new animal to visit! Mara, a 3,610-pound hippopotamus, has just arrived from Los Angeles. If you’ve ever wondered what it’s like after the gates close, book a Twilight Tour (a 2-hour after-hours guided walking tour of the zoo).
- For do-it-yourself GPS Audio Tours, download the Shaka Guide Oʻahu app. You can plug your earphones into your cellphone and take yourself on the Heart of Waikīkī Walking Tour. If you’re hiring a car on Oahu, check out the self-drive itineraries including the East Oʻahu Shoreline Drive and Grand Circle Island Tour.
- The last day of operation at Ohana Hale Marketplace, Hawaiʻi’s largest indoor market, is 16 Apr 2022. Please drop by to support all of the small local businesses before they close and relocate (new location TBC).
- Hawaiʻi’s only Sak’s Fifth Avenue department store is leaving Waikīkī’s International Market Place this summer. Target will move into the space in the next few years.
- Shop women’s clothing designed and made in Honolulu at always a.line, a new boutique that opened at South Shore Market in Ward Village on 1 Feb 2022.
- Buy fresh and local at the Mahiku Farmer’s Market every Thu 4-8pm at International Market Place.
- Hawaii Triennial 2022 (HT22) City-Wide Exhibition (various events and venues) from 18 Feb-8 May 2022.
- Hideout at The Laylow has a series of events running from 22-26 Mar 2022 to celebrate its 5th anniversary including a five-course wine dinner (22 Mar) and Juneshine ‘POG flavor launch party’ and Night Market (26 Mar).
- Upcoming Hawaiʻi Theatre Center events include Al Jardine’s Endless Summer (24 Mar 2022), Devon Allman Project with Donavon Frankenreiter (1 Apr 2022) and Kalani Pea May Day is Lei Day in Hawaii (1 May 2022).
- Shen Yun classical Chinese dance and music performance will be in Honolulu 26-27 Mar 2022.
- Upcoming Hawaiʻi Opera Theatre live performances include Opera Ball 2022: The Butterfly Emerges (26 Mar 2022) and Madame Butterfly (8, 10 & 12 Apr 2022).
- The film Waterman opens in Hawaiʻi on 1 Apr 2022. Get tickets to see it at Consolidated Theatres (the cinema) at Koko Marina, Kahala, Ward, Pearlridge, Mililani, Olino or Kapolei.
- Hawaiʻi International Film Festival (HIFF) Spring Showcase presented by Halekulani runs 6-14 Apr 2022. Screenings held at Consolidated Kahala Theatre and online.
- Beyond Monet, an immersive digital experience of over 400 Claude Monet artworks, is coming to Honolulu 15 Jun-31 Jul 2022. Purchase tickets online.
- Broadway in Hawaiʻi is bringing Broadway to Honolulu this upcoming 2022-2023 season. Book tickets to see Beautiful The Carole King Musical (19-24 Apr 2022), Jersey Boys (13-25 Sep 2022), Hamilton (7 Dec-29 Jan 2023) and CATS Let The Memory Live Again (13-18 Jun 2023).
- Waikiki SPAM JAM® Festival returns 22 Apr-1 May 2022, after a two-year hiatus! SPAM® lovers can once again enjoy the delicious and creative SPAM® dishes from Waikiki’s top restaurants and local eateries in a new dine-in/dine-out experience.
- Waikīkī Block Festivals are parties on Kalakaua Ave with food vendors, live music and entertainment, 2022 dates are Waikīkī Spring Festival (9 Apr), Leahi Festival (14 May), Endless Summer Festival (16 Jul), Ohana Festival (13 Aug), Aloha Festival (10 Sep), Waikīkī Fall Festival (8 Oct) and Kalakaua Festival (12 Nov).
- Box jellyfish (stinging invertebrates) tend to appear in Oʻahu’s ocean 8 to 10 days after the full moon. According to the Waikīkī Aquarium Box Jellyfish Calendar, the 25-27 Mar and 24-26 Apr 2022 have a high probability of a box jellyfish arrival event.
JOIN THE OHANA HERE: SUBSCRIBE 🤙