Oʻahu’s East Coast (Windward) is home to the seaside town of Kailua, a Hawaiʻi beach mecca. With stretches of golden sands flanked by dramatic cliffs, it’s a natural feast for the eyes. You won’t find a hotel in sight; only a coastal community of friendly cafes, family-run eateries, charming boutique shops, local markets, and two drop-dead gorgeous beaches.
Distance from Waikīkī to Kailua: 30-minutes drive
Things to Do in Kailua
- Visit Lanikai and Kailua beaches, voted some of the best in the world
- Do the picturesque Lanikai Pillbox Hike (also called Kaiwa Ridge Trail)
- Kayak out to the Mokolua Islands seabird sanctuary on a guided tour
- Shop stores including Bookends In Kailua and Muumuu Heaven
- Go wine tasting at Oeno Winemaking, Oahu’s only winery
Best Eats in Kailua
- Kalapawai Market (Homestyle Cooking): It’s all yummy!