*This is a copy of the Waikiki Beach Stays Monthly Mailer (sent out 2 Apr 2023). Click here to subscribe for future editions.
Like most destinations around the world, the cost of a Waikiki vacation has gone up post COVID-19. This month we thought we’d share some budget-saving tips.
1. Visitors to Waikiki should pick-up the latest Oahu’s Best Coupons book in-person or online. Find them in the stands along Kalakaua Avenue (by Lulu’s, opposite Moana Surfrider and in front of Tiffany’s.) There are some great food discounts in there!
2. Collections of Waikiki is an umbrella brand representing all of the shops located in the Sheraton Waikiki, The Royal Hawaiian, Moana Surfrider and Sheraton Princess Kaiulani. Anyone can pick up a Collections of Waikiki Coupon Book usually on display near the hotel lobby or at the front desk. You can also view the coupons online and print to use! The coupons are updated every six months and include great discounts, bonuses and special offers.
3. For additional discounts on dining, shopping and things to do in Hawaii consider buying The Entertainment Digital Coupon Membership. We purchased a membership online, downloaded the app and added Waikiki as our location. This is an example of some of the great deals available:
- $5 off a purchase of $20 or more at Teddy’s Bigger Burgers in Waikiki
- $5 off a purchase of $10 or more at Penny’s Waikiki Malasadas
- 25% of the total bill at LBLE Lounge at Hilton Waikiki Beach Hotel
- 20% off the total bill at Rock Island Cafe
- 25% off the total bill at Il Lupino Trattoria & Wine Bar
- 25% off any one Hilo Hattie garment at Hilo Hattie at Ala Moana Center
- 20% off the total purchase at Popoki Massage at Ala Moana Center
- Free highest and longest flight w/purchase of same at Diamond Head Parasail
4. If you plan on shopping, make sure you visit Waikele Premium Outlets – the only outlet mall on Oahu where everything is on sale! For extra discounts, join The VIP Club online before arrival.
5. Macy’s (the department store) offers an “International Visitor Savings Pass” that’s good for 10% off (conditions apply). Ask an in-store sales assistant about it, you’ll usually have to flash your International ID to get the coupon card or they’ll auto-add the discount at the checkout.
6. Resort Pass enables you to book a day pool passes, day room access, spa experiences and/or hire cabanas at Waikiki’s most luxe resorts – no need to pay the big bucks to stay there! The White Sands Hotel and Hilton Hawaiian Village Waikiki Beach Resort are new to the site.
7. And don’t forget to check the Special Offers section at the end of this mailer for tour and activity discounts every month!
Ash & Keli‘i
P.S. For those new to this Monthly Mailer, welcome to the ohana! To fill you in, we run Waikiki Beach Stays and The Hawaii Admirer websites.
NEW ON THE BLOG
Oahu Events in April
Easter Events on Oahu
Top 10 Iconic Oahu Attractions
Oahu Markets Schedule
Free Hula & Music Shows
- For International Travel to the United States, non-U.S. citizen and non-U.S. immigrants must show proof of being fully vaccinated with the primary series of an accepted COVID-19 vaccine before boarding a flight to the United States.
- On 10 Mar 2023, the CDC removed the requirement for air passengers from China, Hong Kong or Macau to show a negative COVID-19 test or documentation of recovery before boarding a flight to the United States.
- The full 19mi (30.5km) Honolulu Rail Line will not be complete until 2031 however around 11mi (17.7km) of it, from East Kapolei (Kualakai station) to Aloha Stadium (Halawa station), could be open to the public as soon as Jul 2023.
|HOTEL SPOTLIGHT: Aqua Oasis Hotel|
Each month we’ll highlight one of Waikiki’s best hotels.
Aqua Oasis Hotel lives up to its name – it’s a budget hotel sanctuary in urban Waikiki. The open-air lobby features tropical flora, a koi fish pond, and a sundeck with a dipping pool and sauna. Rooms can sleep up to 4 people, and Suites with kitchenettes can sleep up to 5. While the decor is a little dated, the deep soak bathtubs and private balconies make up for it. The hotel offers laundry services, the use of beach towels and chairs, and a complimentary continental breakfast daily! Find Camado Ramen Tavern (ramen eatery) and GS Studios (karaoke lounge) on property. Aqua Oasis Hotel is only a 10-minute walk to Waikiki Beach. Valet parking is convenient (but costs $40 per day) and being in the middle of Waikiki does attracts some street noise. Nevertheless, Aqua Oasis Hotel is an excellent option for affordable Waikiki accommodation. . Check reviews on tripadvisor.com and prices on hotels.com.
- Waikiki Trolley, a hop-on-hop-off bus and trolley system that offers 4 routes to explore Honolulu. Travel on the Pink Line (Ala Moana Shops), Blue Line (Coastline/Diamond Head), Red Line (Heroes & Legends) or Green Line (Local Dining/Diamond Head).
- Hele On Waikiki inside Waikiki Beach Marriott Resort is an eco-friendly e-bike rental provider. E-bikes are a great option to get to/from Diamond Head and Ala Moana.
- From 28 Apr 2023, Hawaiian Airlines will resume flights between Honolulu (HNL) and Fukuoka (FUK) in Japan, operating three times weekly. They currently fly daily from HNL to Tokyo Haneda (HND), Tokyo Narita (NRT) and Osaka (KIX).
- Kalani Cruises provides Private Yacht Rental in Waikiki for up to 6 people. They will take you for a sail around Oahu’s south shore and famous Waikiki to sightsee, swim and snorkel. They offer whale watching trips (Nov-Mar) and host proposals, marriages, birthdays, funerals, and so many other memorable times on the water.
- Experience Pearl Harbor without the worry of planning ahead on the Luxury Pearl Harbor Arizona Memorial & Honolulu City Tour. Arrive in a luxury vehicle in a small group of 8 people or less. You don’t need to worry about securing Arizona Memorial tickets, they will reserve them for you! The chauffeur doubles as your local tour guide and will not only drive you but provide great narration.
- For do-it-yourself GPS Audio Tours, download the Shaka Guide Oahu app. Take yourself on the Heart of Waikiki Walking Tour or Historic Downtown Honolulu Walking Tour. If you’re hiring a car on Oahu, check out the self-drive itineraries including the Grand Circle Island Tour, East Oahu Shoreline Drive, Legendary North Shore Loop and Honolulu’s Backyard Rainforest Tour.
RESTAURANTS & BARS
- Waikiki’s newest cocktail room, Green Lady, has “secretly” opened in the White Sands Hotel. Check it out Wed through Sun from 8pm until 12-Midnight.
- Kitchen Door, the Napa Valley “wine country” restaurant brand, has debuted in Hawaii opening within Wai Kai, a waterfront recreation complex in West Oahu. It’s a dual-dining concept including Plaza Grill (signature restaurant) and Boardwalk Cafe.
- Broke Folks Ice Cream Truck has joined the new gathering of food trucks on the corner of Kalakaua Ave and Niu St, other eateries include Rice Man Hawaii, Byblos Express, Tacos Don Chema, HI Shack, Irie Jerk HI and OffDa Leash Hotdogs.
- Waffle & Berry‘s new Waikiki location has patio views over Kalakaua Ave. They’re famous for six styles of signature waffles and açaí bowls with an unlimited toppings bar!
- Rick’s Jerk is Oahu’s #1 Jamaican food spot! Previously a food truck, now a restaurant at Ala Moana Center (on the ground floor next Barnes & Noble).
- Weekend Brunch is back on the Grand Lanai at International Market Place. From a mimosa brunch at Herringbone to the family-friendly offerings at Liliha Bakery, there is something for everyone.
- Hotels.com published a list of the best places to go shopping on Oahu.
- Royal Hawaiian Center has launched Ka Lewa Lanai, a large rooftop space open for special events. The Malama Hawaii Maker’s Market will be held here monthly.
- Lids, now open in International Market Place, is the perfect shop for fans to find official sports hats, merchandise and apparel of their favorite college and pro teams.
- The Walmart store in Downtown is set to close in Apr 2023.
- Potted Potter The Unauthorized Harry Experience A Parody at Hawaii Theatre (7, 8 & 9 Apr 2023)
- Hot Import Nights – Car Show (8 Apr 2023)
- The Vibe Jazz Night at the Hawaii State Art Museum (14 Apr 2023)
- America at Neal S. Blaisdell Concert Hall (15 Apr 2023)
- Body Mind Spirit Celebration in Honolulu (15 & 16 Apr 2023)
- WOW Waikiki Beach Clean Up (22 Apr 2023)
- I Love Kailua Town Party 2023 (23 Apr 2023)
- Waikiki Spam Jam (29 Apr 2023)
- Kalani Pea – May Day is Lei Day in Hawaii at Hawaii Theatre Center (30 Apr 2023)
- Box jellyfish (stinging invertebrates) tend to appear in Oahu’s ocean 8-10 days after the full moon. According to Waikiki Aquarium Box Jellyfish Calendar 13-15 Apr, 13-15 May & 11-13 Jun 2023 have high probability of a box jellyfish event.
- For a comprehensive list of Oahu Events by Month, click here.
- Small Group Grand Circle Island Tour from US$109.16 pp (save US$36.39)
- Snorkel & Swim with Turtles! from US$109.65 pp (save US$19.35)
- Polynesian Canoe Day Sail from US$160 pp (save US$40)
- Oahu Private Luxury Beach Picnic from US$156 pp (save US$39)
- Day Trip from Oahu to Maui: Haleakala & Best of Maui from US$471.73 pp (save US$83.25)
- Private Pearl Harbor & USS Arizona Memorial Tour from US$535.50 per group up to 3 (save US$59.50)
- Book More Oahu Tours
*Subject to change/terms and conditions apply – please refer to Viator for full details.
|EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Waikiki Beach Stays readers get a 10% discount off The Real Hawaii custom and private tours. Simply add ‘waikikibeach’ to the ‘Enter your Discount code here’ promo box when booking on the website – therealhawaiitours.com. A minimum of two passengers are required. LEARN MORE|
SHOP HAWAII STYLE
- Helpful Hawaii Travel Items
- Island Wisdom: Hawaiian Traditions & Practices
- Lonely Planet Honolulu Waikiki & Oahu
- Oahu Revealed: The Ultimate Guide to Honolulu, Waikiki & Beyond
- Hawaii Coffee Company
- Leahlani Skincare
- Catherine Weitzman Jewelry
DO YOU KNOW SOMEONE WHO WOULD LOVE TO GET THIS OAHU UPDATE? SHARE THE LOVE AND FORWARD THIS LINK ON: bit.ly/WBSAPR2023 🤙 JOIN THE OHANA HERE: SUBSCRIBE
Image Credit: Waikiki Beach Stays