*This is a copy of the Waikīkī Beach Stays monthly mailer (sent out 30 Sep 2023). Click here to subscribe for future editions.
Welcome to Waikiki Beach Stays monthly mailer, the best place to keep up to date with everything happening on the island of Oahu, Hawaii.
We regularly check the price of Waikiki hotel resort fees and parking fees and had noticed some hotels increased their prices since our last map update in Feb 2023!
We immediately got to work updating our Free Waikiki Map to reflect these changes, and at the same time revised our favorite places to eat and drink in Waikiki.
The purpose of this map is to ensure you don’t get caught unaware of Waikiki’s hefty resort fees and parking rates! At a glance, this resource allows you to compare the location, star-rating, resort fee and parking rate of every Waikiki hotel. It also outlines Waikiki’s many attractions including luau(s), free shows, grocery stores, shopping hotspots, food courts and local farmers markets.
Check out some of the worst culprits for resort fees and parking rates:
- Hilton Hawaiian Village – resort fee of US$50+tax per room, per night and parking rate of US$65+tax per car, per night
- Waikiki Beach Marriott Resort – resort fee of US$50+tax per room, per night and parking rate of US$50+tax per car, per night
- Hyatt Regency Waikiki Beach Resort– resort fee of US$49+tax per room, per night and parking rate of US$50+tax per car, per night
These prices are in addition to the advertised room rate (SNEAKY) and are usually paid upon checkout. The resort fee is supposedly charged to cover the use of on-site amenities (pool, gym, WiFi etc.) and the inclusions vary.
Resort fees are mandatory, there is no way to opt-out (even if you don’t utilize the amenities). Therefore, it’s best you know about these extra costs and what you’re getting for them. Most hotel websites don’t make this information readily available.
The easiest way to find out what’s included in a hotel resort fee is to Google “hotel name resort fee”
You might ask, is there any way to avoid paying resort fees
Well, we do have a few suggestions.
1. Find a rare property (only 13 out of 80+) that does not charge a resort fee. Our Waikiki vacation rentals do not charge resort fees and parking is FREE! In Waikiki, the following hotels do not charge a resort fee either (but most charge for parking).
- Ala Moana Honolulu by Mantra
- Ramada Plaza by Wyndham Waikiki
- Halepuna Waikiki by Halekulani
- The Breakers Hotel
- The Ritz-Carlton Residences Waikiki Beach
- The Surfjack Hotel
- Espacio The Jewel of Waikiki
- Royal Grove Waikiki
- Waikiki Central Hotel
- Aloha Suites Waikiki
- Polynesian Hostel
- The Beach Waikiki Boutique Hostel
2. Find a property that waives the resort fee when you book direct. Some properties offer no resort fee for direct bookings, to encourage you to book on their website (rather than with a travel agent or online booking engine).
3. Always check the specials, discounts and promotions section of each hotel website. From time to time, hotels will run sales that tout no resort fee as part of a limited-time offer.
4. Consider staying in a vacation rental property, booked through Airbnb or VRBO. There are many legal vacation rentals (like ours) situated in the resort zone of Waikiki, and the majority do not charge a resort fee and parking is usually included.
One more warning before we go, Waikiki hotels are notorious for charging for an array of additional fees. Please make sure you research your stay ahead of time, so you’re not surprised with anything on your hotel bill.
- Crib/Rollaway fee
- Extra person charges *sometimes charged if there are more than two people staying in one hotel room
- Early check-in fee/Late check-out fee
- Cleaning fee
- Cancellation fee
We hope you’ve found this information helpful! If you have any questions at all about your Waikiki vacation, please respond to this email and we’ll gladly answer them.
Ash & Keli‘i
- One year ago, the Safe and Sound Waikiki initiative was introduced, aiming to enhance safety and security in the area. According to the stats, crime rates have shown a marked improvement from the first half of 2022 vs. the first half of 2023.
- For an affordable transport option, consider a 1-Day Hawaiian Style E-Bike Rental in Honolulu. They are a fantastic local business run by my mate Nathan, conveniently located on Lemon Rd and Uluniu Ave in Waikiki. They’ll will make sure you have the perfect day mapped out by the time you leave their shop!
- Waikiki Malia hotel has newly redesigned their Maila Tower suites. The refreshed look features bold colors and tropical accents, a “where city meets island chill” vibe.
|HOTEL SPOTLIGHT: Sheraton Waikiki|
Each month we’ll highlight one of Waikīkī’s best hotels.
Sheraton Waikiki, an oceanfront Marriott resort on the edge of Waikiki Beach has “transformed” after a US$200 million dollar renovation! Significant aesthetic and functional upgrades were made to guest rooms, suites, hallways and elevator landings, function spaces, and retail experiences. Most accommodations here offer ocean and Diamond Head views and they have a variety bedding configurations available – for example, rooms with three Queen-sized beds. The hotel pools and cabanas are one of the best reasons to stay here, enjoy the adults-only infinity pool or the family-friendly Helumoa Playground featuring one on Waikiki’s few water slides. The on-site RumFire Waikiki restaurant and Edge of Waikiki bar have epic views (and are open to non-guests, too). Resort activities include free Hawaiian cultural experiences including lei making and hula and ukulele lessons. The Beachboys are also on hand to ensure your comfort on the beach with private umbrella sets and chaise lounge rentals. Note, there is a Resort Fee of US$42 per room per night and parking costs US$45 per vehicle overnight. Check reviews on tripadvisor.com and book direct on marriott.com.
- For the ultimate ocean experience in Waikiki book Pink Sails newest tour, the Waikiki Water Park Adventure! Get unlimited access to premium water toys including the climbing wall, leap of faith, gigantic stand-up paddle boards and water jousting. This alcohol-free family-friendly activity features amazing views of Waikiki and Diamond Head, possible turtle sightings and lunch is included.
- Oahu Forgotten Warriors Luau experience honors Hawaii’s legendary warriors, hosted on the historic battlegrounds of the 15th century Battle of Kipapa. It spotlights stories of Polynesian war tales and re-enacts scenes from the past, including depictions of how King Kamehameha united the Hawaiian Islands. Celebrate these victories by digging in to the all-you-can-eat Island Feast with views overlooking the Honolulu skyline.
- Blue Note Hawaii, Waikiki’s premier live entertainment 300-seat venue has just updated their dinner menu to include dishes like lamb ossobuco, steamed mussels, miso-ginger mahi mahi and pizza. Check out the calendar ahead of time and purchase tickets to big-name performers. It’s a great night out in Waikiki!
- For do-it-yourself GPS Audio Tours, download the Shaka Guide Oahu app. Take yourself on the Heart of Waikiki Walking Tour or Historic Downtown Honolulu Walking Tour. If you’re hiring a car on Oahu, check out the self-drive itineraries including the Grand Circle Island Tour, East Oahu Shoreline Drive, Legendary North Shore Loop and Honolulu’s Backyard Rainforest Tour.
|EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Waikīkī Beach Stays readers get a 10% discount off The Real Hawaiʻi custom and private tours. Simply add ‘waikikibeach’ to the ‘Enter your Discount code here’ promo box when booking on the website – therealhawaiitours.com. A minimum of two passengers are required. LEARN MORE|
Restaurants & Bars
- La Vie Waikiki offers Chicken + Champagne Wednesdays! They pair Ludovico Family fried chicken with parsley garlic butter, a Hirabara Farms baby romaine salad and a glass of “cuvée preference” champagne for a match made in heaven!
- Check out this “secret” Krazy Dogs hot dog cart in Duke’s Lane Marketplace, a collection of market stalls in the heart of Waikiki. Try an affordable gourmet dog, like the LA Street Dog, Island Dog and Bacon Mac & Cheese Dog from US$8-11.
- Attention ramen lovers, Ramen Akatsuki in STIX ASIA offer bowls of homemade noodles with a clear amber pork bone broth and mountain and sea ingredients.
- CINO Hawaii is a new Italian chophouse and crudo bar open for dinner in the Aalii building at Ward Village (15-mins drive from Waikīkī). Dine in a gorgeous restaurant on a menu that marries local flavors with modern Italian cuisine.
- Also in Ward Village, WildKind, has soft-opened. Pick up a smoothie, juice, coffee or superfood bowl while wandering the urban neighborhood dotted with shops.
- Another coffee shop has popped up in Waikiki, White Sands Café located in White Sands Hotel. Choose from lattes, americanos, freshly-squeezed juices and more.
- Maguro Brothers Hawaii, a poke shop with a cult-like following (think lines out the door daily) has relocated to the Waikiki Shopping Plaza. Current hours 5-8pm.
The only YETI store in Hawaii opened on 29 Sep 2023 on Mall Level 3, Center Court at Ala Moana Center. They sell insulated coolers, bottles and travel mugs designed to keep drinks and food the right temperature.
- Nightmare – A Halloween-Themed Pop-Up Bar at Ala Moana Pacific Center (29 Sep-31 Oct 2023)
- Fall Harvest Festival at Waimanalo Country Farms (29 Sep-12 Nov 2023)
- Waikiki Night Marchers Ghost Tour (Various Oct 2023)
- Waikiki Beach Marriott Presents – Nashville Nights (5 Oct 2023)
- Vodka & Vinyl, An Evening at Hinana Bar at Prince Waikiki (7 Oct 2023)
- Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar Festival Waikiki Style! (8 Oct 2023)
- Hawaii International Film Festival (12 Oct-5 Nov 2023)
- The Ultimate Michael Jackson Experience at Hawaii Theatre Center (13 Oct 2023)
- Waikiki Fall Festival from 4-10pm on Kalakaua Avenue in Waikiki (14 Oct 2023) *Admission is free to the public
- Waikiki ArtFest (14 & 15 Oct 2023)
- The Secret Garden by Hawaii Opera Theatre (14 & 16 Oct 2023)
- Honolulu On Tap (21 Oct 2023)
- Dining in the Dark: A Unique Blindfolded Dining Experience at Stage Restaurant Honolulu (26 Oct 2023)
- W.O.W. Waikiki Beach Clean Up (28 Oct 2023)
- Halloween Events on Oahu (31 Oct 2023)
- Box jellyfish (stinging invertebrates) tend to appear in Oahu’s ocean 8-10 days after the full moon. According to Waikiki Aquarium Box Jellyfish Calendar 7-9 Oct, 5-7 Nov & 4-6 Dec 2023 have high probability of a box jellyfish event.
- For a comprehensive list of Oahu Events by Month, click here.
- Deluxe Pearl Harbor USS Arizona Memorial & Honolulu City Tour from US$76.50pp (save US$8.50)
- Diamond Head Hiking and Oahu Island Experience feat. North Shore from US$115.00pp (save US$10.00)
- Oahu Grand Circle Island Tour w/Lunch & Waimea Valley from US$135.71pp (save US$15.08)
- EPIC Adventure Tour from US$94.05pp (save US$4.95)
- Private Surf Lesson (1-On-1) from US$156pp (save US$28)
- 18 Minutes SHARED Helicopter Tour in Honolulu from US$176pp (save US$44)
- Book More Oahu Tours
Subject to change/terms and conditions apply – please refer to Viator for full details.
JOIN THE OHANA HERE: SUBSCRIBE 🤙