What’s New on Oahu > Sep 2022
*This is a copy of the Waikiki Beach Stays Monthly Mailer (sent out 26 Sep 2022). Click here to subscribe for future editions.
Mahalo to everyone who has downloaded our new and improved Free Waikiki Map, and a very warm welcome to all of our new readers! To fill you in, we run The Hawaii Admirer and Waikiki Beach Stays websites and pop into your inbox every month to keep you up to date with everything happening in Oahu, Hawaii.
Scroll down to discover the latest and greatest destination news – from accommodation, transport and activities, to restaurants, bars, shopping and events.
This month we’ve been working on a revamped partnership with The Real Hawaii, to bring you private touring options on Oahu at an exclusive price. Owned by local Dan, this Hawaii small business specializes in creating memorable island adventures that are fully customizable for you and your travel party only (up to six people).
Booking a custom tour on Oahu with The Real Hawaii has many perks!
- You can sit back and relax as you’re chauffeured around the island, all of the research and planning has been done for you.
- For foreign visitors, there’s no stress about driving on the opposite side of the road.
- The itinerary is 100% flexible and custom-catered to suit your interests and abilities, at a pace that suits your needs. Only visit the Oahu attractions you want to see!
- Having your own personal tour guide means you can tap into a wealth of local knowledge. Learn about Hawaii’s history and culture and gain island insights.
- Save money in overnight parking fees at your hotel. If you rent a car on Oahu, expect to pay up to US$50 + taxes per car per night for parking.
- Tours include pick-up and return to your accommodation. As an option you can choose the Waikele Premium Outlets drop-off after the tour (you are responsible for arranging a shuttle ride back to Waikiki, bookable at the kiosk).
- Let a local show-off where they live! Dan’s lead tour guide is Jeffrey, he was born and raised on the big island of Hawaii and moved to Oahu in 2010 to attend the University of Hawaii in Manoa.
|SPECIAL OFFER: Waikiki Beach Stays readers get a 10% discount off The Real Hawaii tours. Simply add ‘waikikibeach’ to the ‘Enter your Discount code here’ promo box when booking on the website – therealhawaiitours.com. A minimum of two passengers are required.|
Happy vacation planning! If you have a pressing question about your upcoming trip to Hawaii – simply reply to this email and we’ll do our best to help you out.
Ash & Keli‘i
NEW ON THE BLOG
Halloween Events on Oahu
Oahu Events in October
Oahu Markets Schedule
Free Hula & Music Shows in Waikiki
100+ Things to Do in Waikiki
- 343,204 cases of COVID-19 in Hawaii to-date. Daily average cases 148 island-wide (103 Oahu, 17 Maui County, 10 Kauai, 18 Hawaii Island).
- The Hawaii Visitors & Convention Bureau offers an Official Visitors Guide to The Hawaiian Islands, it’s a great free resource for travelers.
- Alohilani Resort Waikiki Beach has launched a revamped gym FitWaikiki, wellness center Spa Uilani and a new Makana Lani, a Dining Experience.
- Halekulani Hotel has reopened it’s House Without A Key open-air restaurant and added a new shaded pool bar called EARL’s. This is a premier destination for sunset hour with live Hawaiian music and traditional hula performances daily.
|HOTEL SPOTLIGHT: The Surfjack Hotel|
Each month we’ll highlight one of Waikiki’s best hotels.
The Surfjack Hotel is a trendy, dog-friendly boutique hotel. Designed in collaboration with Hawaii creatives, this property has a vintage-meets-beach-culture aesthetic. There are over 100 bungalow rooms and one-, two- and three-bedroom suites, catering to occupancy of up to eight guests. Set a few blocks back from the beach, the private balconies come with city views. The ‘Wish You Were Here!’ tiled pool is the hotel’s heart. It hosts an adult swim time (Daily, 6-9pm), live music (Daily, 6:30-9pm) and Aqua Zumba (Fridays, 10-11am). Mahina & Sun’s restaurant and bar have a menu highlighted by local ingredients, and Banks Journal retail shop doubles as a gourmet coffee bar. Currently, stays at The Surfjack Hotel include complimentary off-site self-parking and no amenity fee (subject to change). They also allow a late 12-noon checkout. Need we say more? Check reviews on tripadvisor.com
and prices on hotels.com.
- Biki Stop #324 Waikiki (Kanekapolei & Kuhio) was installed outside of Lilia Waikiki. If you plan on using Biki, Honolulu’s bikeshare system, download the BPSC App.
- With Halloween around the corner, it’s a great time to highlight some of the best ghost tours on Oahu guided by Lopaka Kapanui, Hawaii’s famous ghost guy!
- Elvis fans have the opportunity to join Kathleen King’s unique Oahu Elvis Tour in Honolulu. Find out why Hawaii loved Elvis, and why Elvis loved Hawaii.
- For a lei making class with a twist, try an Eco Mindful Lei beach workshop including meditation to get into a flow state and making flower lei in a sustainable way.
- Keiki Republic, an indoor playground for children, has opened in Windward Mall.
- For do-it-yourself GPS Audio Tours, download the Shaka Guide Oahu app. You can plug your earphones into your cellphone and take yourself on the Heart of Waikiki Walking Tour. If you’re hiring a car on Oahu, check out the self-drive itineraries including the East Oahu Shoreline Drive and Grand Circle Island Tour.
- Resort Pass enables you to book day pool passes, spa experiences and hire cabanas at Waikiki’s most luxe resorts – no need to pay the big bucks to stay there!
RESTAURANTS & BARS
- Camado Ramen Tavern, a modern ramen house, has opened at Waikiki’s Aqua Oasis Hotel. The menu features noodles, izakaya dishes, cocktails and shave ice.
- Crackin’ Kitchen has resurfaced at International Market Place. Try Hawaiian-Cajun seafood in a fun atmosphere where eating with your hands is part of the experience!
- The Seaside is a cool little seafood and wine spot in Waikiki. Feast on fresh oysters, New England clam chowder, cioppino, poke and more. Happy Hour is 3-6pm daily.
- Ward Village welcomes three Japanese eateries in the old Nobu Honolulu space – JINYA Ramen Bar, Robata JINYA and LBD Japanese Bar & Lounge.
- On your next visit to Honolulu Zoo grab a bite at eat at their brand new food and beverage facility, Kapahulu Market. Opening hours are from 10am-3pm daily.
- America’s largest interactive murder mystery dinner show, The Dinner Detective, is now playing in Honolulu! Dine at Buca Di Beppo while you figure out whodunnit.
- Pop into the new Broome St. General Store, a luxury convenience store at Royal Hawaiian Center. They carry a range of goods with a focus on local makers.
- Keane Eyes Gallery at International Market Place showcases original artwork by Margaret Keane, the creator of “Big Eyes”. She lived in Honolulu from 1964-1991.
- Cariloha has opened a store in International Market Place. They sell sustainable bedding, bath and apparel made from their luxuriously soft bamboo-viscose fabrics.
- Don’t miss Waikiki Block Festivals, fun events held on Kakalaua Avenue: Waikiki Fall Festival (8 Oct 2022) and Kalakaua Festival (12 Nov 2022).
- 2022 Honolulu Pride Parade & Festival from 11:30am-6pm at the Waikiki Shell and Diamond Head Greens (15 Oct 2022). With two stages of great entertainment, food, music, community booths and more, itʻs an event for everyone!
- JaRule & Ashanti at Aloha Tower Marketplace (22 Oct 2022).
- Broadway in Hawaii presents Hamilton (7 Dec-29 Jan 2023) and CATS Let The Memory Live Again (13-18 Jun 2023).
- Box jellyfish (stinging invertebrates) tend to appear in Oahu’s ocean 8-10 days after the full moon. According to Waikiki Aquarium Box Jellyfish Calendar 17-19 Oct, 16-18 Nov & 15-17 Dec 2022 have a high probability of a box jellyfish arrival event.
- For a comprehensive list of Oahu Events by Month, click here.
- Hawaii Volcanoes National Park Experience from Oahu from US$467.49 per person (save US$82.50)
- North Shore Circle Island Adventure including Snorkeling with the Turtles from US$104.79 per person (save US$5.82)
- Pearl Harbor WWII Heroes Adventure Tour with Lunch from US$209.79 per person (save US$23.31)
- Oahu Ultimate Waimea Waterfall Adventure Tour Full Day Experience from US$95.45 per person (save US$19.55)
- Shopping Shuttle Service between Waikele Outlets and Waikiki from US$36.00 per person (save US$4.00)
- Book More Oahu Tours
- Book Resort Pass Waikiki pool, cabana, spa and amenity passes!
*Subject to change/terms and conditions apply – please refer to Viator for full details.
SHOP HAWAII STYLE
- Helpful Hawaii Travel Items
- Island Wisdom: Hawaiian Traditions & Practices
- Lonely Planet Honolulu Waikiki & Oahu (Travel Guide)
- Oahu Revealed: The Ultimate Guide to Honolulu, Waikiki & Beyond 2022 Edition
- Hawaii Coffee Company
- Leahlani Skincare
- Catherine Weitzman Jewelry
DO YOU KNOW SOMEONE WHO WOULD LOVE TO GET THIS OAHU UPDATE? SHARE THE LOVE AND FORWARD THIS LINK ON: bit.ly/WBSSEP2022 🤙 JOIN THE OHANA HERE: SUBSCRIBE
Image Credit: Postcards From Hawaii